Pollen allergies are a source of discomfort and misery for millions of people: watery, bloodshot eyes; runny nose, sinusitis, sore throat and exhaustion. My husband suffered severe allergies until he was an adult. Today, diet changes, herbs and essential oils minimize the effects of seasonal pollens.
I am often asked what I think of allergy shots. I went to the NCBI website to know he facts.
“Approximately 85 samples of injectable biological products regulated by the Center for Drugs and Biologics of the United States Food and Drug Administration were surveyed for the presence of 11 elements, namely aluminum, arsenic, barium, cadmium, chromium, lead, mercury, selenium, thallium and zinc, by flame and flameless methods of atomic absorption spectrometry and flame emission spectrometry. The range of products tested included whole blood, red cells, plasma, normal serum albumin, antihemophilic factor, and other products derived from blood; allergenic extracts including honey bee venom and house dust allergenic extracts; vaccines such as measles virus vaccine and typhoid vaccine; and tetanus toxoid. The metal concentrations found in the majority of these products were low or undetectable. The metal levels varied from manufacturer to manufacturer, product and lot-to-lot of the same manufacturer’s products. House dust allergenic extracts had the highest concentrations of arsenic (2.4 ppm), cadmium (0.28 ppm), chromium (0.6 ppm) and lead (1.5 ppm) found in the study. A high zinc concentration (24 ppm) in an immune serum globulin was attributed to the zinc-containing rubber stopper in contact with the product. A range of 0.36-3.30 ppm aluminum was found for seven 25% normal serum albumin samples from seven manufacturers. Values of 8.2, 17 and 18 ppm aluminum were found in one manufacturer’s 25% normal serum albumin. These aluminum values appeared to be the result of an anomaly in this manufacturer’s production that has not been repeated to date.”
For me, there are healthier ways to help my body. As I studied the organ systems and energy meridians, I learned that we could deal with the source of the imbalance rather than treating only the symptoms of an illness. The liver produces immune factors that affect our body’s ability to handle pollen. Why not deal with the source of the problem and strengthen the liver so it can handle its duties more effectively?
Promoting a Healthy Immune Response:
- Dr. Christopher’s Liver/Gallbladder formula: I use Dr. Christopher’s because they use good quality herbs, the formula works, and their prices are good. I also appreciate the fact that Dr. Christopher released his formulas so that those who have more time than money can mix their own herbs and put them in capsules or take the herbs in juice and drink them, saving money. Either way, they nourish and help rebuild the liver over time. The liver regenerates every three years, so be patient with the healing process, though most people notice improvement within weeks.
- Nettle and Red Clover Tea: these herbs support the liver and help cleanse the blood, bringing relief. Most people notice a difference in their allergy response after a few days of drinking the tea. Take it over time to build and strengthen the liver and blood. Mix equal parts of Nettle and Red Clover.
- Mullein and lobelia Tea: Mullein soothes the mucous membranes, reduces inflammation, soothes sore throats, reduces the histamine response and is an expectorant. Lobelia relaxes the lungs alleviating spasms and eases breathing: Recipe: Mix 2 parts mullein and 1 part lobelia.
How to use herbs for allergy relief:
Mix together the herbs and then place 1 teaspoon in 8 ounces of boiling water and steep for 10 minutes. Drink 3-5 times daily. You may drink it warm or cold and add honey, stevia or agave if desired.
Consider mixing it in a quart container and take it to work — where you can sip it all day.
In the onset of allergies, one is sensitized. Always test the skin first to make sure you don’t have a reaction. However, it has been my experience that most people, even children, find these oils very helpful.
- Lemon Myrtle: Slows the antihistamine response and offers aid to the sinus, throat and lungs. It may be breathed in a diffuser or for an adult, mix 5 drops of Lemon Myrtle in 1 teaspoon of carrier oil and apply to the chest and throat. (For children, start with a 1% solution in carrier oil.) This is also helpful for bronchitis and bronchial issues. It breaks up mucous and helps remove matter from the lungs.
- Hyssop and Blue Cypress: for severe reactions, blend 5 drops of hyssop, and 5 drops Blue Cypress and apply to the chest in 1 Teaspoon carrier oil. Start with a 1% solution for children.
- Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Cedarwood and Marjoram: This combination can be used on children if the gentler versions of these oils are used (see below.) Eucalyptus opens airways and expectorates; it is also anti-viral and anti-infectious. Tea tree is antiviral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. Cedarwood is antispasmodic, expectorant, antifungal and anti-inflammatory. It relaxes spasmodic conditions and asthma, and helps relieve watery eyes.
Healthy herbs and foods for the liver. See our article Spring Cleansing: The Liver and Gallbladder.
Foods that Support Healthy Immune Response:
- Pineapple contains bromelain, which aids in the digestion of proteins, reduces inflammation and supports digestive health.
- Quercitin: breaks down protein and eases digestion. The highest concentrations of quercetin come from Capers, Red Onions, Cranberries, Cocoa Powder, Buckwheat, Dill weed, Hot wax yellow peppers, sweet potatoes and lovage leaves, but it is also contained in raw spinach, sweet peppers, snap peas, green beans, broccoli, romaine, chicory, black plums and black currants.
Food sensitivities certainly affect our system’s ability to handle pollens. As a child, Jim was told that he had many sensitivities to fruit and he mostly eliminated them from his diet. I began to suspect that it was the pesticides and insecticides that he was reacting to. I began sneaking fruits and vegetables that he was previously allergic to into his cupcakes, desserts and main dishes. The difference is that I used fruit and vegetables that were organic or raised by local farmers who did not use chemicals. He now has a diet that includes many of the fruits and vegetables that he could not previously eat without suffering from a sore or constricted throat, face breakouts, etc.
I realize that this information is anecdotal and does not guarantee that it will work in all circumstances, however, I have seen others work with this idea, and with the use of herbs, oils, and changes to the diet, their immune response becomes balanced and healthy and the allergy symptoms are minimized.
Suggestions on how to make these changes:
- Start with one of the tea recipes to help you with symptomatic relief and stimulate changes in the liver. Use essential oils to also bring symptomatic relief.
- Then begin taking the liver formula to strengthen the liver. It will need to be taken over time to be effective in making a permanent change in your body. It is said that the liver regenerates every three years. You will notice a steady improvement over time. change over time. Take the herbs until you feel complete.
- Make single dietary changes so you can tell the difference how the omission or addition in your diet affects you.
- Choose meats, fruits, vegetables and packaged foods that are free from chemicals, preservatives and food dyes.
Affirmation for Healing Allergies:
I choose health and wholeness in my life. I choose to release all sensitivities that are unproductive for my being. I feel sensitive when I feel insecure in myself. I love myself, I release unproductive thoughts and feelings of others. I claim my own space in my life to have my own thoughts and feelings. When my own thoughts or feelings are unproductive, I release them and embrace truth, clarity and honesty in my life.
Written by Char Milliman on July 25, 2016.